St. Andrew Parish has a long history of working for social justice. This commitment flows from our faith and Gospel values. The Parish sponsors a number of social justice events throughout the year.
The Third Reconstruction by Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II. This is a short (126 pages) and powerful book about “how a moral movement is overcoming the politics of division and fear.”
Every Monday The Poor People’s Campaign leads a virtual action to push our legislature to make decisions that are best for the Common Good! Join by clicking here to reach their website.
From Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II
- The Nation, Racism and Covid-19 Are a Lethal Combination, by Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II and William J. Barber III, JD
- Democracy Now Interview (14 min) part 1.
- Democracy Now Interview ( 2 min conclusion) part 2.
- The Intercept interview – Mehi Hasan and Rev. William Barber on Bailing Out People, not Corporations
- USCCB Pastoral Open Wide our Hearts: The Enduring Call to Love Letter “a must read!”
- Catholic Resources for Racial Justice, 2020
- #BLM twitter
- White Ally Toolkit – helps anti-racism allies do their part in the fight against racism. Email Angela Kremer (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- A reading list on the history of Black Catholics in the United States and their contributions to Catholic theology, history, and activism.
- 75 Things White People Can Do For Racial Justice
- Anti-racism Resources for Parents
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin (this YouTube video is recording of the book being read aloud)
- Mindful of Race by Ruth King
- How Jews Became White Folks and What That Says About Race in America by Karen Brodkin
- How the Irish Became White by Noel Ignatiev
- White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son by Tim Wise
- Why Coronavirus is Taking Such a Deadly Toll on Black Americans, The Guardian
- Oregon’s Latinos Disproportionately Impacted by COVID-19, OPB
- Portland’s People of Color Hit Hardest by Pandemic, The Skanner
- How COVID-19 is impacting Indigenous peoples in the U.S., PBS
- We are not COVID-19: Asian Americans speak out on racism, Nikkei Asian Review